Shirin Karsan, BS '92
Name: Shirin Karsan
Class Year: 1992
Degree, Major: Bachelor of Science, Diagnostic Imaging
What is your current professional position?
I am the Director of weServe and Special Projects Manager at the School of Biomedical Engineering, Science and Health Systems at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA 19104. Visit www.drexel.edu/weServe
for additional information.
In your current position, what are your responsibilities/duties?
I direct the weServe Program at Drexel University. The mission of weServe “Service through Innovation” is to enable experiential learning and leadership development for students through a firsthand understanding of healthcare needs and disparities at a local and global level and to address such unmet needs by service through innovation and partnership.
What are your current accreditations, memberships or affiliations in your field?
- Master in Bioethics (UPenn)
- Nationally Certified Bioethics Trainer (NCBT)
Are there any publications you have had or other awards/recognitions you would like to share?
1. American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition, San Antonio, Texas (US). http://idea.library.drexel.edu/handle/1860/3770
Bhatt, Karsan, et al. International Biomedical Engineering Education through collaborative Student Service-learning experiences.
2. Islam and Bioethics, Eds. B Arda, V Rispler Chaim) pp.387-194, Ankara University Printhouse, Ankara, 2011. ISBN: 978-975-482-930-3
Karsan S: The influence of Islam in the use of ART in the UAE and how it shapes the decision making process of Emirati families using modern technologies
4. Hum Reprod Genet Ethics. 2009; 15(2): 60-7. PMID: 19957497
Early Education is de Riguer in Late Life Pregnancies
What are your career accomplishments that you would like to highlight?
• Fulbright Fellowship; University of Pennsylvania AY 2009 –2010
• Fulbright Research at the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences; United Arab Emirates University (UAEU)
• Critical Language Enhancement Award (CLEA); language: Arabic
• Jenzabar Foundation: 2011 Student Leadership Award for the Drexel University weServe Program
If you could give any advice to a current student in your program or a recent graduate what would it be?
Make the most of your educational opportunity (at Jefferson)! It will open up so many doors, and you can find many ways that you can contribute to society locally and /or globally!